Re: Brass in Concert results

>David,
>
>When you write that Foden's gave the "slickest, most professionally
>choreographed performance" what do you mean by that (for those of us not in
>the know).
>
>I take it from what I've read that it's an entertainment contest, but like
>what did they do to be choreographed, particularly when you mentioned the
>"visual impact of their performance"?  I'd love to hear about it.
>
>Carol

Fodens started their program with Trumpet Blues and Cantabile, with ALL the
cornets across the front of the stage playing without music - lots of
directional playing from the cornets - the crowd loved it.
Second on was our Solo Euph (Glyn Williams) playing Brillante - originally
this was a duet written for the Childs Brothers (Nick conducts us).
Technically it's ridiculous (Glyn holds a pause on treble clef g ABOVE top C
(super G !)) and the piece finishes on super F.
Glyn won the soloist award.
The march 'The Waltonian' was next - up tempo.
This led straight into 'Lucerne Song' - we had special permission by Elgar
Howarth to use this as a BBb feature with Big Dean Morley in the spot light.
He received his own ovation after playing down a scale from treble clef G
(second line) down 2 octaves - ending up on his back !
Our Finale was specially written for us by Peter Graham entitled
'Gaelforce'.  One piece of music in three distinct sections it starts of
quite fast with 2 cornets at the front of the stage playing an Irish jig
theme.  The band joins in (as do the two tenor drummers at the either side
of the stage) and the cornets are replace by a euph and baritone.  This
builds up until abruptly a slow tune from off-stage Flugel and small brass
choir take over (these are in a spotlight the band are now in darkness) -
the lights come back up and the cornets are around the back of the band
playing the same tune in close harmony.  After another phrase from the
flugel off-stage the Euphonium takes to the front of the stage to increase
the tempo with a number called 'the tossing of the feathers' (or something
like that) - imagine a cross between Riverdance and Cry of the celts fast
movements - only faster !  Soon the cornets and euphs and bari's are
standing up and dueling with the speed at which point a percussion break
with 4 tenor drums and a full kit at full volume each play different
rhythms - it sounds stunning !
The tune recaps and all the band end up standing up in their seperate
sections so that at the end of the peice everyone is on their feet.

The band were gutted at the second placing - unfortunately an audience who
constantly say that the band have walked it set's a level of expectancy in a
band - no matter how much you try not to listen !
Four of the six adjudicators came up and apologised to our MD after the
results and an embarressed Mr Newsome came to congratulate us on our
'stunning' performance.
However, congratulations to Grimethorpe - I saw your program and enjoyed it.

Phil.
Fodens.