Re: Instrument Gripes

I bought a Besson Sovereign Tenor Horn back in 1996 after saving for many
years, a lot of paper rounds!  Within a year the silver started to fall off,
not just where you hold the instrument but all over.  Rosehill were very
good and arranged for me to send the instrument back to Besson, I didn't
however expect it to take over 3 months.  Whenever I phoned Besson told me
it was nearly finished, and then I was told they had posted it back to me in
Guernsey, a week later when it hadn't arrived I was again told that it was
nearly finished etc.  However, when the instrument did arrive back it had
been repaired excellently, totally replated and I am sure the silver plating
was far thicker, I couldn't even see the slight marks at the bell join by
the Besson logo, a rare thing on Sovereign Horns these days.  The valves
also seemed to work far better than they had ever done, maybe they were
doing something for 3 months?

Then a few months later the support between the main tuning slide and the
third valve came off.  Besson told me that the instrument wouldn't get in
the queue for repair until they receive the instrument and access what needs
to be done.  They did however admit that it may take a couple of months.  I
explained that if they told me when they could start work on it I would have
the instrument to them by them.  They would not agree to this and instead I
managed to convince them to pay for the repair to be done at Dawkes.  Dawkes
did an excellent job, probably far better than Besson, there weren't even
any marks left on the instrument where the support was replaced.  The
instrument was back to me within days and Besson not only paid for the
repair, but also for the 35 recorded postage.

Maybe other list members with similar problems could negotiate a similar
deal.

Steven Le Prevost  (City of Stoke-on-Trent, Manx Concert Brass and Manx
Youth band)
steven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx