Re: Instrument gripes

Hi Jud. I think I have solved my lousy valves on my cheapo flugel by a good
scrub with Superbright Spiral Scourers to get rid of rough bits. Then a good
warm bath (for the instrument) with washing up liquid.  I let the whole
thing dry and applied Hybrid ProOil 141-A7 liberally into the casing and the
valves.  They work much better now but there is probably lots of space
around the valves !!   I too have noticed a tendency to stick if the valves
are not upright..but with the flugel I find mine starts to lean over to the
right as I lean to the left as the dots get more difficult.  Never had that
problem with a Sovereign tenor horn many years; that was a lovely specimen
and never needed oil.   At the week-end a guy let me try an old silver plate
flugel of his which must have been about 50 years old with loose springs
under the valves.  It was solid metal ....easy to blow with a nice sound.
It was marked M.and B. and he thought  it was made in Belgium.  After my pal
and I had a go he changed his mind and would,nt sell it.  One more point...a
lister recently said that the metal does,nt matter....but my pal Fred (the
other member of our band) claims he once had a very old Besson cornet which
cost him a fiver ( 50 years ago) second hand and it had a lovely tone.  He
reckons he could "ping" the bell and it would sing or "ring".  He.s a
skilled precision engineer and still a damn good player so I reckon he might
be right.  Be good and stick to the Blue Tack !!!  (Would it help me with
that 'orrible bottom B natural ?)
Cheers.   Dave.