Re: Question about EEb bass

On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Craig Mcfarland wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My band is running a stall at church fete soon, and we hope to include a
> "guess the length of tubing in the tuba competition" as part of this.
> Unfortunately we don't know the answer ourselves, so can anybody tell me the
> approximate length of tubing in a Sovereign EEb bass?

Using the formula c (speed of sound) = f (frequency of 2nd harmonic) *
lambda (length of wavelength/tube), the total tubing would be engaged with
all 4 valves down, giving a 2nd harmonic of E natural at approximately
41.2 Hz. The speed of sound is iirc about 321 metres/second. Rearranging
to give lambda=c/f produces tube length = 321/41.2 = 7.79 metres = about
25 feet 6 inches. It will lose a bit because of the various bends in the
tube and the bell flare. Call it 25 feet to the nearest foot.

Dave Taylor
p.s. if my value of the speed of sound is wrong, then this needs to be
redone, replacing 321 with the appropriate value.