Musical Career Opportunities in the USA or Canada ?

Having just been laid off from my job in computers & IT over here
in the UK, I am currently looking seriously at the possibilities
of moving to the USA or Canada to work in MUSIC (or a combination
of Music & IT), initially short term (eg. 12 months) with a view
to making the move permanent if everything goes OK.

For this reason I would like to ask the members of this list for
your advice or help regarding what opportunities exist (both
generic or any specific ones you know of), levels of pay, would I
need additional qualifications to work in the USA/Canada, help with visas,
etc. etc.

Basically I am looking for any advice which will be useful in
making this move, as I know there are many of you out there with
lots of information and contacts which may be helpful.

Please reply privately to avoid clogging up the list.

I appreciate that many people responded to a similar request I
made a year or two ago, but unfortunately a new PC & ISP means
that all those old messages have been lost. (Also they were more
concerned with IT, whereas I now want to look also at the musical
possibilities).

Thank you in advance for your time.

Steven

Steven Booth