Re: Question about EEb bass

On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, Simon R Lloyd wrote:

> Hi.
>    The length of an ee-flat soverign tuba is 18 feet of tubing.
>   Simon Lloyd B-flat bass at Buy as you veiw Cory Band.

This is the second time this particular value has been quoted. Where does
it come from? The length of a BBb tuba is approximately 18 feet
(i.e. twice the 9 feet of a Euphonium). This means that the length of
tubing engaged on an Eb tuba with valves 1+3 down is also about 18
feet. It's probably still about 18 feet with 1+2+3 down, as the 2nd
valve doesn't add that much tubing. Thus this value is about right for a
3-valve instrument. I don't think any 900 series tubas (i.e. Sovereigns) have
only 3 valves, so this answer is wrong. See my previous posting for the
4-valve answer (25 feet, I think I said).

Dave Taylor