Bass clef versus Treble clef.

Thank you to everyone who answered my query on ancient trumpets.
My next question is on ancient practices.
When I was a lad and played the BBb tuba my music was written in the
treble clef in the British Brass band scene.
However, now that I'm ancient myself and pay more attention I find that
the bass, trombone and euphonium parts are written in the bass clef.
Fortunately, baritone parts can be written in both the bass and the
treble clef at least here in North America.
I can see the wisdom of teaching young band's people to read  in the the
treble clef so they can take up the bigger instruments as they grow more
capable of lifting them and not having to re-learn to read music!
Is this bass clef thing a North American peculiarity or have all bands
gone to this mode whilst I was having a 43 year snooze?
Comments please?
Cheers
BillW