Re: Bass clef versus Treble clef.

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, Bill Walker wrote:

> When I was a lad and played the BBb tuba my music was written in the
> treble clef in the British Brass band scene.

	Bill: as far as I know, "tuba" (bass) music is still written in
treble clef for British brass bands.

> However, now that I'm ancient myself and pay more attention I find that
> the bass, trombone and euphonium parts are written in the bass clef.

	I think you're finding that because you're playing in a concert
band.  Those parts are written in bass clef, at least in North American
concert bands they are.
	In our brass band in Vancouver, Canada, only the trombone part is
in bass clef.  Our music comes from the U.K., generally, so it's the
"British-style brass band" music.

> Fortunately, baritone parts can be written in both the bass and the
> treble clef at least here in North America.

	That's the American convention for baritone concert band parts.  I
don't know how that came to be.

> I can see the wisdom of teaching young band's people to read  in the the
> treble clef so they can take up the bigger instruments as they grow more
> capable of lifting them and not having to re-learn to read music!
> Is this bass clef thing a North American peculiarity or have all bands
> gone to this mode whilst I was having a 43 year snooze?
> Comments please?

	Rather, I think it's a British brass band peculiarity to have the
"low" parts written in treble clef, for the reason you state. "They" still
do it that way, 43 years later.  It's YOUR situation that's changed!
(I.e., playing concert band instead of British brass band  :-)

Gene H. Chan					       genechan@xxxxxxxxx
Burnaby, BC, Canada				       gene.chan@xxxxxxxxx
Summer Pops Youth Orchestra			http://www.vcn.bc.ca/spyo/
Little Mountain Brass Band	      http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/6222/