Re: Bass clef versus Treble clef.

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, Bill Walker wrote:

> Is this bass clef thing a North American peculiarity or have all bands
> gone to this mode whilst I was having a 43 year snooze?
> Comments please?

Yes, it's just a North American thing, as far as I can see. However, this
reminds me of the most immense clanger that I dropped a couple of weeks
ago. Playing at the National concert band festival with the University of
Warwick Wind Orchestra, I'd managed to get myself in the position of
sight-reading the pieces on stage by dint of double-booking myself on
Monday night rehearsals all term. We arrived in Bedworth shortly before we
were due on stage, so we were in the most immense rush. I managed to find
my concert gear, and my euphonium, lost the music folder temporarily,
but managed to find it just in time. I hurriedly pulled out a part for
each of the pieces, and went on stage. The first two pieces went off
okay. The third piece was Johan de Meij's 'Aquarium'. The part was in Bass
Clef - no problem, I thought. It starts with Euph and Glock together (in
unison, though, as I hadn't played it before, I didn't know that). The
conductor raises his baton..we start the piece...a couple of bars in, he
stops, looks over at me, and enquires whether the euphonium part is in the
right key. Only now do I look at the top of the part to discover that it
reads 'Bb Bass Clef' rather than 'C Bass Clef'. Oh dear. So, I proceeded
to transpose the part at sight, only fluffing a few (!) notes, coming off
stage a complete nervous wreck. Somehow we still got a silver award!

Dave Taylor