Re: Bass clef versus Treble clef.

Bill Walker wrote:

> Is this bass clef thing a North American peculiarity or have all bands
> gone to this mode whilst I was having a 43 year snooze?

Hi, Bill.

This "Bass Clef Thing" is not a peculiarity at all, it is quite normal around
the rest of the musical world to have trombones, euphoniums and tubas written in
the bass clef. The peculiarity is in having one clef right across the band, as
is the case with the British brass band scene.
The main reason for it was so that (historically) young lads would start in the
band on cornet, and when they grew older and their teeth fell out, they could
gradually be demoted through the band, via 2nd baritone to BBb bass without
having to re-learn the clefs and fingerings.

:)

Cheers,
Adrian