Re: National College Of Brass

Both my kids took an NCOB exam.  No probs with the syllabus or the
examiners, just nobody of relevance outside Brass Bands appears to
recognise them.  We did only one and went back to Associated Board
where the qualification seems to be universally accepted (like RCM or
RNCM).  If they arent useful collateral, why do them says I?  I heard
all the argument about being examined by Brass Players etc, but to my
mind, a musician is a musician and can either play or can't.  And
examiners shouldnt examine if they arent musicians, which they (AB)
appear to be.  We only (in a family total of c.25 Associated Board
exams between the three of us) had one suspect result - which wasnt
much fun for the person who got it, (my son who got far better results
in a subsequent grade anyway) but as an average, 24 out of 25 fair
ones is pretty good.

I suppose if what one does is play in UK-style Brass Bands in the UK
(we dont do just that) NCOB has a place, for Brass Bands.  Maybe.

My opinion.  Sorry if you don't like it, dear reader - I remember it
generated defensive heat when I was involved with it previously (about
3 years back).

Steve Larwood, Euphonium, Melbourne Town Band
http://www.mtb-brassband.com

Also