Re: Bass cleff v Treble clef

-----Original Message-----
From: Solo Cornet

>For as long as I can remember this argument has popped up from time to
time.
>I t is usually put forward by musical snobs from outside the band world
(I'm
>sure your wife doesn't fall into this category) who seek to prove that
bands
>are not properly musically literate and are therefore somehow less worthy
>than other ensembles.
>Rubbish, obviously!
>The system is appropriate to band culture, allowing players to transfer
>between instruments easily, and it has served well since the very first
>saxhorn bands.
>Non-brass musicians who claim to find the scores confusing simply need to
>study, in the same way they had to learn alto and tenor clefs and a whole
>range of transpositions to make sense of orchestral scores (assuming they
>can).
>Does anyone ever make similar criticisms of big-band scoring where the sax
>parts from soprano to bass are also written exclusively in the treble clef?

Here Here!!!
I am sick to death of being criticised by certain colleagues who scoff at
the brass band system of reading treble clef, then turn around and teach
their entire families of saxophones AND clarinets treble clef without
batting an eyelid.  It smacks of snobbery and hypocrisy to me.

Regards,
Wendy Spencer