ABRSM Exams

Has anyone noticed what a shambles the grade exam lists are for the higher
grades on cornet?

Not that I am taking them or anything, but basically you have a least 4
different instruments (Bb Cornet, Bb Trumpet, Bb Flugelhorn, C Trumpet and
Eb Sop/Trumpet) with the same syllabus.  Does the ABRSM not know that the Eb
sop is a different instrument to the Bb Cornet?

I love the footnote that says you can transpose the part on a chosen
instrument or play the part for the instrument it is written for.  So for
the Haydn Trumpet Concerto you use a keyed trumpet.

There are separate lists for Bass Trombone at higher grade level, so why not
for the sub-species of trumpet/cornets.  It's the flugel I really feel for -
having to play trumpet parts or play scales high in the register is like
asking a flute player to play oboe or clarinet music!

(PS They haven't changed the lists for Trombone or Tuba since about 1857 by
the looks of it!)

Colin Harris
Eb Bass
Backworth Colliery Band
http://www.backworth.org.uk
See "A Day in the Life of Backworth Colliery Band" at
http://www.backworth.org.uk/life.htm