Re: Wynton Marsalis

Hi Steve
Subject: Re: Wynton Marsalis

> I used to have a recording of Wynton Marsalis playing a number of Cornet
Solos,
> does anyone know what this was and where I could get it from (I think I've
> either lent mine to someone and forgotten who).

It is called Carnaval or Carnival I can't remember as I also have lost my CD
to a friend on loan. It features Marsalis and the Eastman Wind Ensemble.

I was fortunate enough to see both play together live in Toronto in about
1989. There has been a discussion previously on this list about the relative
merits of Marsalis and other trumpet/cornet players. For me he is an
incredible talent - his skill, technique and stamina is staggering( he
played 8 cornet solos - one after the other ending each one a semi tone
higher, started on a solo with top C at the end and ended with Napoli and an
8 bar super G) with not a split note to be heard. His sound may not appeal
to the cornet purists, or those who claim to be, but how many of us like the
same sound anyway. I just admire the talent - in a very envious, chuck my
cornet out of the window type of way.

Jeremy