Re: Bass clef versus Treble clef.

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Rolf Miezitis wrote:

> On this subject, where on earth did the concept of Bb Bass Clef come from? I
> have talked to orchestral trumpet players who say that they can't play Bass Clef
> unless it's in Bb (but they're a bit weird anyway).
> Please explain...

Well, I expect you know this anyway, but I'll just expand it for people
who may not know yet:- basically, it's a bit like brass band treble clef,
in that each instrument is written in the same way, but in bass clef,
rather than treble. So, a bottom C in brass band treble would be written
as a 2nd space C in the bass clef.

As to where it comes from, and what idiot thought it up, I really don't
know. Molenaar publications in Holland seem to be the major (only?)
perpetrator of this crime, but they get to publish some quite important
music. I can sort of understand an orchestral trumpeter thinking like that
- I suppose it's to do with not wanting to transpose and play in an
unfamiliar clef in the same time. It's fair enough, really, if a bit
wimpish.

Dave Taylor