RE: Wynton Marsalis

HI, Steve!

I believe that the recording to which you are referring is entitled
"Carnival".  A review of which may be found at the following URL:

http://www.und.nodak.edu/instruct/knorman/521/carnival.html

He appears with the Eastman Wind Ensemble, conducted by Donald Hunsberger.

My opinion of his playing is "WOW!"  Let me admit that I grew up playing
trumpet in symphony settings and American concert bands (the kind that allow
woodwinds to play).  My fiancee, (the principal cornet of the Illinois Brass
Band) however, grew up playing in the Salvation Army and thus grew up with
cornet.  She is not as favorably impressed with him as I am.  I admit that
the style of his playing is more symphonic than British Brass Band, and thus
can see her point, I still think his flexibility, range, and tone quality is
admirable.  I'd really like to have an appreciable fraction of his talent!

Here in the US, we tend to be trumpet players first, unless we grew up in
the SA.  Thus our styles are more trumpet-like, and we have to re-learn much
of our technique to perform credibly on the cornet.  (as I have, I think ;-)
)  The main difference, I believe between cornet and trumpet playing is that
the cornet demands delicacy and finesse while the trumpet is a more
muscular, athletic instrument.  One might compare cornet to trumpet as one
might compare ballet to gymnastics.  Wynton, believe comes close to
achieving facility with both styles.  In contrast, Gerrard Schwarz, the
current conductor of the Seattle Symphony Orchestra, used to be a trumpet
and cornet soloist (and played in the New York Philharmonic at one time, as
well, I believe).  He sounds like a trumpet player on his cornet.  Good, but
not a cornet sound IMHO.  It might be interesting to compare the two  with
their recordings.

I think that, ultimately, one needs to form one's own opinions.

Hope this helps!!

Guy Clark
solo cornet, Illinois Brass Band