Cleaning silver instruments

Some body was recently asking about cleaning brass instruments. This is a
topic of considerable interest to me as I play for the Rotorua band.
Rotorua is well known for its geothermal activity which is a great tourist
attraction but is hell on instruments.  They turn black in just days if left
out of their case.  Luckily the band has a new set of lacquered instruments
but the few remaining unlaquered silver instruments like my Shilke have a
hard life.

I have discovered a very effortless way to clean my instrument:

Try putting the instrument (minus all the sensitive parts) in warm/hot water
and add aluminium foil (just standard foil used for cooking) and baking
soda.  Its amazing how the tarnish just lifts off (you get a good whiff of
sulphur).  I understand it is just a basic chemical reaction but it leaves
the instrument clean without any elbow grease required.  It works on the
same principle that jewellers use to clean jewellery.

  Aileen Lawrie
  Soprano WestpacTrust Rotorua Brass
  NEW ZEALAND
  Phone:     +64 0800 ENV BOP (368 267)
  Fax:       +64 0800 ENV Fax (368 329)
  Mail to: Aileen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Aileen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  http://www.boprc.govt.nz <http://www.boprc.govt.nz>

This e-mail has been checked for viruses and no viruses were detected.