Leamington Spa Contest

  Hi there fellow listee's,

  It's always interesting to attend a contest as a non-combatant as it
were, simply just to listen and such a day was to be had yesterday,
(Sunday), at the West Midlands Brass Band Association.  This contest,
which over the last few years has grown in popularity to the extent that
bands are now restricted to competing in their own National Grading
section only, (as opposed to their own and one section above as in
previous years), is an own choice contest, and I arrived just in time to
hear The Matlock Band conducted by F. Murray Slater win the third
section playing Music For A Festival.

  I heard all 7 competing bands in the second section and am delighted
to report that my great friends at Bedworth Brass, (a band that I had
the pleasure of conducting for nearly two years, and, for some reason,
affectionately referred to as Bedrock), were, for the second year in
succession, declared the winners.  A very musical performance from their
M.D. Mike West impressed adjudicator Richard Evans so much that they
were three points clear at the top and prompted Richard to declare that
this performance stood out so much that it "...slapped him in the face"
as he slapped himself on the forehead!  Can I at this juncture announce
that my own band, GUS, are delighted to have Bedworth Brass involved in
a joint concert at Bedworth Civic Hall on January 16th. 2000 at 7.30pm.
where the concert will conclude as massed bands - Box Office - 01203
376707.  Coming 2nd. in the second section were Ibstock Building
Products under their flamboyant M.D. Paul Northy.  They played Essay
which personally speaking didn't seem to suit them.  I know that there
are many M.D.'s on this list, who are more wise than I, that might want
to proffer their opinions as to their own thoughts/agonisations when it
comes to picking an own choice test piece.  Having struggled with the
problem many times myself it's always difficult to enthuse a band when
they don't 'fancy' a piece.  If you throw it open for them to pick a
piece some of the suggestions are pretty amazing - usually from the
players who miss most rehearsals!  A band that did make a fine choice of
test piece and who came third in the second section were another band
that I have had conducting associations with - Brackley & District.
They played Firestorm, not oft heard, and their M.D. David Clark, (an
old colleague from Coventry and GUS), did a fine job as they were
obviously well rehearsed and I suspect owe their placing to an excellent
percussion section.

  Kibworth Band, conducted by a long standing friend Ian Scott won the
1st. section but Ian had to admit that this wasn't one of their most
technically accurate performances.  Non the less, I managed to assure
him that they had done enough to win with their choice of 'Of Men And
Mountains'.  Not since the long distant days of Bill Scholes have I
heard Kibworth in such good form.

  The Championship section saw a very high standard of playing indeed
and again impressed Richard Evans.  City Of Oxford - Nigel Taken were
the only band to play next year's area piece Variations On An Enigma
which earned them 4th. place - (they may have been a trifle unfortunate
there).  Rolls Royce (Coventry), under David Lea showed that they are a
force to be reckoned with as they played a near flawless performance
Partita by P.Sparke. to come 3rd.  A cultured performance of Pagganini
Variations by The Staffordshire band earned them 2nd. place but 1st.
place went to Wooley Pritchard Sovereign under Steve Cooper, who gave a
very musical and controlled performance of Cloudcatcher fells who have a
very fine horn section indeed.

  Just as Arrow Valley Brass were seating themselves for their
performance in the 2nd. section, the fire alarm went off and the entire
hall had to be evacuated.  This was done in under five minutes, but as
we were all standing outside in near zero temperatures, some Arrow
Valley players in an attempt to keep their instruments warm ventured
into a five minute jazz/improv rendition of what I think was 'When The
saints Go Marching In', to be joined by a percussionist from Gresley Old
Hall.  One of those magic impromptu moments that gave pleasure to all
around.

  On a more disturbing note, as the Staffordshire Band, who were drawn
number one, were about to begin their performance, inebriated revellers
celebrating in the bar upstairs were making so much racket that Andy
Culshaw was forced to leave the stage whereupon there followed a several
minute delay waiting for this disgusting behaviour to abate.  One rather
'rotund' spectator sitting patiently for the section to start was so
perturbed that he stormed out and upon throwing open the single door to
the bar bellowed out a few of the well chosen in an attempt to subdue
their unruly and inconsiderate rantings.  Tut Tut, come on boy's - best
of order please, it could be your band next time!

  Finally - sad to see the announcement of the death Albert Chappell on
Friday 19th. November.  Albert was my music teacher at school and got me
started in banding many years ago.  Although I was on many occasions on
the wrong end of his scathing tongue - I consider it a privilege to have
played in his band.  Absent friends.

  Colin Randle - Gus Band

  P.S. If The Queen Wuss reads this - have a look at your other e-mail
address - c.roberts.online or something!! Ta.