Re: Brass Band Festival in JAPAN

Well, I've just returned from Japan and can inform the list that the Japan Brass
Band Festival was a huge success.  The Japanese are wonderful organisers.  The
event went according to schedule and the crowd was responsive and large.  The
entire event was recorded and the CD has already been released.  A video was
also made.  Can I commend to any band the idea of visiting Japan.  We (Kew Band)
were received with great enthusiasm and hospitality.  A great experience,
especially since we had as guest bass trombonist Monkey (Peter Younghusband) who
merrily issued Ferry points to infringers of (his) good conduct code.

There were many memorable performances - from some you would expect such as
Black Colt which played a piece I have not heard before - Inferno (including
chain accompaniment!) and Atsuhiko Okamoto's cornet playing.  But the surprise
for me was the SUZUME YOUTH BAND (conductor: Teruo Yabuuthi) playing.  They
played Shine as the Light (Peter Graham), Pie Jeisu (A.L.Webber/arr.
R.Steadman-Allen), Rondolletto(Alan Fernie) and  Journey into Freedom (E.Ball),
each one with style and flair.  And they were largely kids!

Another feature was playing in the massed bands (over 300 players) and it was
suprisingly good.  I've played in many massed bands before but usually everyone
is trying to out-blast each other.  This group was amazingly self restrained.
The massed bands were conducted by our conductor Mark Ford who did a very
impressive job since the rehearsal was less than an hour and managed to minimise
the language barrier by singing what he wanted.  Blades of Toledo with 35
trombones is a memory few of us will have I suspect.

We invited all the bands to visit Australia, preferably to take part in the
Australian Nationals.  This may yet happen, but already a group of 15-20 band
enthusiasts is to visit Melbourne in February.

Kew Band also did a tour, including Tokyo Disneyland, Tahara and Nagakute in
Nagoya.  Every audience was enthusiastic and made the tour most enjoyable and
memorable.

Regards,
Glenn McGowan
Principal cornet
Kew Band
(Melbourne Australia)

--

[Services] [Contact Us] [Advertise with us] [About] [Tell a friend about us] [Copyright $(D"m(B 2016 NJH Music]