Re: London Brass

-----Original Message-----
From: Roy Taylor <rtaylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 05 December 1999 22:03
Subject: London Brass

>I've been listening recently (over and over) to a CD that I borrowed called
>London Brass Baroque.  I'm blown away by the quality of their playing and
>the magnificant smooth sound they produce, especially from the trumpets.
>They are very mellow, not a trace of harshness or brightness that trumpets
>often have. There are 4 trumpets, 4 troms, a horn and a tuba in the
>ensemble.
>
>Does anyone know if they have put out any more CDs since that one, which I
>think was made around 1988?

London Brass began life after Philip Jones retired and the PJBE ceased to
exist.  If you want to hear the same mellow baroque sound, try and get hold
of PJBE's 'Music for the Courts of Europe'.  Decca 417 524-2 (released
1988).   Includes music by John Bull, Scarlatti and (King) Henry VIII !!
The highlight though is Christopher Mowat's arrangement of Bach's
Brandenburg Concerto No. 3.  You have to do a double take to assure yourself
you're not listening to string instruments.

Alec