RE: MESSAGE FOR KIRKLEES MUSIC

Stephen Hawkes wrote ( in part ) :

"...Get off your high horse Mr Martin Horsfield and recognise a band in need
instead of your own financial greed.    The guy has already payed
your already over the top prices for music and whilst helping out another
band, finds himself in need of assistance...."

While I agree that most published music is expensive and often has little
justification for the cost due to poor printing, poor editing, missing
pages, etc...... ( and sometimes even due to poor composition/arranging
which you don't discover until after you have paid for it ), I feel that
professional composers and arrangers are entitled to make a living and
require a reasonable wage for their efforts.

If an individual has lost an item, had it stolen or if it has been destroyed
somehow then that individual usually goes out and purchases a replacement.
If you have lost your car keys ( a reasonable simile to a musical score )
you will need to go out and purchase a new one - yes I know you can have a
new one cut by a locksmith - but you can't photocopy a key.

The cost of a replacement score in this case will not be great. The fee
which will filter down to the composer will also not be great but it will be
a reward for the creative efforts he/she has put into it and may help the
composer in deciding if he/she will attempt to publish another work for
Brass Bands.

Sheet music is a consumable product, it has limited use. After it has been
performed a few times ( sometimes for several decades - I know ) it should
be put away and not used again until the performer and audience have
forgotten about it or at least until it's memory has faded somewhat. Like
most consumables, after it's use it must be replaced with a new item. This
is how new music is written and how new items are created - by the demand
for something different from a large source ( bands ).

In my opinion we should always support the professional composers and
arrangers out there by purchasing new and exciting music for our bands. We
run a great risk of abusing them by copying their works without permission
so that they miss out on their due payment. Copying a score without
permission may seem like such a small thing which doesn't really matter to
anyone but it is fraud after all and an abuse of the composer's efforts.

Kees & Michelle Dogger
dogger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dogger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>