Re: MESSAGE FOR KIRKLEES MUSIC

In a message dated 07/12/99 21:52:59 GMT Standard Time, bhawkt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
writes:

<< Get off your high horse Mr Martin Horsfield and recognise a band in need
 instead of your own financial greed.    The guy has already payed
 your already over the top prices for music and whilst helping out another
 band, finds himself in need of assistance, >>

Wow! Strong words from  Mr Hawkes!!

Whilst getting snotty may make him feel good I don't think it achieves very
much.

Also in the real world sheet music prices are much higher elsewhere than for
brass bands (ask anyone purchasing music for wind bands, orchestras or big
bands). Also ask our American friends how much they pay for standard
repetoire items. Brass band contest pieces have a limited purchasing
attraction, are usually more complex and conductor's scores bigger (number of
pages). High production costs for very little gain.

I can only assume that Mr Hawkes has limited experience of costing,
production and maintaining a business.

Martin Horsfield did come on a little strong but there again if it's his
livelihood hasn't he the right to put his point of view?  Also remember the
fine old adage "Art for art's sake, money for Christ's sake"

I shall now retire to the bunker and take the necessary precautions for the
fallout.

Ted  Howard

P.S. I think it should be 'paid' and not 'payed'. There again I haven't got a
spell checker only a dictionary.