Albert Chappell

Finally - sad to see the announcement of the death Albert Chappell on
Friday 19th. November.  Albert was my music teacher at school and got me
started in banding many years ago.  Although I was on many occasions on
the wrong end of his scathing tongue - I consider it a privilege to have
played in his band.  Absent friends.

  Colin Randle - Gus Band

  P.S. If The Queen Wuss reads this - have a look at your other e-mail
address - c.roberts.online or something!! Ta.

Hi there Colin. Yes it was so sad to hear about the death of Albert
Chappell, Like you I was his first pupil to have music lessons  at Ash
Green School Exhall, he was my English Teacher.
 He took me for music in his lunch break three times a week at School while
I was in Bedworth Silver, also accompanied me on the piano in many solo
competitions.
He got me into the National Youth Band and invited me to play assistant
Euph to Malcolm Teasdale when he took over the City of Coventry Band.
My mentor was a great friend to me right up to his death, I use to visit
him many times when he retied from teaching and went to live in Cornwall.
Albert Chappell was a great influence in the Cornish Brass band scene for
many years and taught many off the players who are playing in Cornwall
today.
 When his wife came ill with cancer she had her chemotherapy in Plymouth,
he use to drive her up from Camborne stop inHospital over night for her
treatment,
Albert stopped with me and my wife Alison over night and took his wife back
to Camborne the next day.
I was MD of Crownhill British Leigion Plymouth at the time. We use to go up
on Dartmoor for lunch and a pint and spent many happy hour talking about
music and banding. also he came to our wedding in Devon.
Eventually is wife died this was a terrible loss to him and is heath in
general deterated. eventually he at to go in a home to be looked after, I
use to telephone him one a week, to see if he was okay the bandsmen in
Cornwall were marvelous they use to visit him quite regular throuout the
week. He moved up to be near is daughter in Warwick the move from Cornwall
went smoothly he had a heart attack and passed away. I shall sadly miss
him.
His daughter is going to put on a concert with pass members off City off
Coventry band and players who new Albert some time in the new Year.
Colin will you be playing Tenor Horn or Trombone:-)
I have  a choice off three instrument. Euph with Coventry and Luton. also
Solo Horn with Luton. and know Eb Bass With Clacton and sitting behind
Clare Tomlin. Queen Wus. What a delightful experience.
Yours Coventry Welshman Evan Howells.