Percussion parts - was: MESSAGE FOR KIRKLEES MUSIC

In message <0.77bb51e6.25805572@xxxxxxx>, CPMcH@xxxxxxx writes
>Finally, since I seem to have switched into moaning mode, why are there never
>enough percussion parts with a set? There are probably parts for half a dozen
>big instruments, and even more small ones and you get 2 parts, or 3 if you
>are lucky.

I guess it's because the average brass band has 2 or 3 percussionists,
and this is the composer's way of making sure that all instruments they
write for will be played.  Each player takes on a part, and is
responsible for playing all the instruments thereon.  There may be
several instruments (if I remember rightly, Dances and Arias requires 17
separate pieces of percussion), but only 3 can be played simultaneously!
--
Tim Morgan, Bass Trombone, Woolley Pritchard Sovereign Brass.