Missed Opportunity (re: Kirklees Music)

Hi everybody.

Here are my thoughts on the current music copyright
infringement debate:

While I agree that copyright laws should be respected,
I have a serious problem with the Kirklees Music
representative's attitude.

I own a small business. Sometimes my customers do or
say things that are not quite "by the book" and end up
costing me money and/or inconvenience. Sure it's
frustrating, but I find that a calm, polite, rational
discussion with the customer is much more fruitful
than bitter invective. The customer learns to respect
me, my business, and our business practices. They are
likely to come back (and spend more money) at a later
time because they know I will treat them with respect.

My first reaction to Kirklees' response was "What a
jerk! I can't believe I ever bought music from these
people!" With one ill-considered e-mail, the Kirklees
representative managed to irreparably damage his
company's image. I will never buy anything else from
Kirklees--not because they wish to enforce copyright
laws, but because their response showed a complete
lack of consideration for their customers' feelings.

Kirklees Music missed an opportunity to assist and
educate a large number of potential customers here.
Some people may legitimately be unaware of the limits
imposed by music copyright laws. A clear statement of
music copyright policies, with an offer to help the
individual find a legitimate source for this score,
would have given thousands of subscribers to this
mailing list a positive impression of Kirklees Music.

On a different note, I want to thank everyone for
making this list so much fun to watch. I'm learning a
lot about brass banding and music in general.

Happy holidays!

====
Donna M. Lafferty
1st Trombone