Re: Music Publishing Costs

John Davis wrote:

> in answer to your question i would like to bring to the attention of listees
> that i have the misfortune of having one of my arrangements published by a
> very well known BB publishing company, and as to date (its been out about 7
> years now) I have not received a penny from them.

snip...

> I suppose the moral of the story is that you must be careful as with anything
> in life.  It may be that no one has purchaced my music and that is why I have
> received nothing from that company.   I know one thing though, I won't make
> the same mistake again, and they won't be publishing any more of my stuff.

I had a very similar experience with a company called Maecenas Music
who agreed to publish two of my pieces, quoted one price on the phone
but then sent a cheque for significantly less; no contract ever
existed.  Both pieces have been played quite extensively and one has
been recorded on CD by four different bands; at the time I was just
pleased to see my work in print but it has cost me more to buy the
CDs than Maecenas paid for the right to publish them!  (They even got
the title of one piece entirely wrong!!!)

They later advertised another of my arrangements in their catalogue
prior to negotiating a price, but when I told them how much I wanted
for it, it was mysteriously withdrawn.

David