Shareware music, was Music Publishing Costs

I think there is definitely a case for having a "shareware" style page on
the internet for people who wish to promote their music without the lottery
of going through publishers, begging conductors etc.  As long as no
copyright is breached, I cannot see a problem with it.  An example is Urich
Nels, who has a similar page for brass music at
http://rzhome.rrze.uni-erlangen.de/~thkms01/indexe.htm.

This way, people could print out and play the music, and see what it was
like, and if they liked it, they could pay a small fee or pay for some
printed copies of it from the arranger/composer.

The technology is there, and I am planning to put a few of my "oeuvres" on
the internet in this way.  I sent a shed-load of pieces to a publisher 6
months ago after being asked to do so, and have never heard a word from them
(the publisher shall remain nameless, but it is one mentioned a bit lately.)

Ideas like this, after all, are what the internet is all about.  My page
will be up around Christmas, so you can see what I mean.

BTW, Urich's page has some cracking music on it.  Try "Pausenstomp" and
"Fanfare/Overture".

Colin Harris
Eb Bass
Backworth Colliery Band
http://www.backworth.org.uk
See "A Day in the Life of Backworth Colliery Band" at
http://www.backworth.org.uk/life.htm