RE: Percussion parts

Jos said:

>I agree with the opinion of needing more parts for the percussionists, it
>can be hell trying to run around and fit all the parts in.
>I think that the most annoying thing in most of the music now is that they
>will give you three parts and there will be , say, a tambourine part on all
>of them which could easily be played by one person as it is just a
>continuous part. There is a lot of music where this happens, I think it
>would be so much easier to have, say a tuned part a timp part and then a
>woodblock and tambourine or whatever, instead of mixing them all up so we
>are running round like crazy trying to get to each different instrument, it
>seems common sense to me !

I agree.

However, some people find it really hard to move parts when the parts are
different.  They want to move from one place on a part to the same place on
an identical part somewhere else.  (Does that make sense?)

I once wrote out Ruby Tuesday, with specific parts for specific instruments
and gaps in.  For example, the glock part had some music at the top, a gap,
and some music at the bottom.  During the gap, I was playing Timps, but
couldn't be bothered to work out the rests, so I just left a gap in the
music, and knew when to move.  The timp part just had the middle bit on.  I
understood it, but everyone else that ever saw it said they couldn't!

Tim Sawyer
Percussion
Rothwell Temperance Band
http://www.rtb.org.uk