Re: Music Publishing Costs

>I had a very similar experience with a company called Maecenas Music
>who agreed to publish two of my pieces, quoted one price on the phone
>but then sent a cheque for significantly less; no contract ever
>existed

A contract was formed when the price was agreed - regardless of any written
agreement.  They owe you money.

>They later advertised another of my arrangements in their catalogue
>prior to negotiating a price, but when I told them how much I wanted
>for it, it was mysteriously withdrawn.

If no price was agreed on before they advertised your work then they are
obligated to pay you a "reasonable" price (based on fair market value).
Advertising the music probably constitutes their acceptance of your offer of
publishing rights.  They owe you more money.

Volume.