Re: Percussion parts

Jocelyn wrote....

> There is a lot of music where this happens, I think it
> would be so much easier to have, say a tuned part a timp part and then a
> woodblock and tambourine or whatever, instead of mixing them all up so we
> are running round like crazy trying to get to each different instrument, it
> seems common sense to me !

I think that you would very much regret it if publishers went the way
you have outlined. Since many pieces will use considerably more
instruments than you have players, you end up with separate parts
with each instrument and then have to decide who can play which at
what time (a very boring and time consuming excercise). This then
involves writing directions for where you should be and trying to
remember how many bars rest you have when switching between parts.
It's much nicer to have all the instruments that you are expected to
play written clearly on one part (not a shared reduced score which is
also a pain). If instruments are to be shared, this should be
considered when you are setting up.

I think that the brass band is "very lucky" in that it has its
numbers well defined. This year I have been playing percussion for
the University wind orchestra and the variety in expectations of
numbers of percussionists is a real pain. Many of the modern pieces
which we enjoy playing are written for a huge battery of percussion
(one piece required at least 8 players this term). However,  the
Boosey and Hawkes wind band festival has a set list from which you
must choose one program item. Having already chosen our impressive
stuff (featuring load of percussion), we then had to play Seranade
requiring timps and Tambourine/maracas/triangle and the majority of
the section sit twiddling their thumbs.

Stuart Jackson

Principal cornet, University of Warwick