Instruments.

Having recently returned to banding, I have been checking out
instruments and I was dismayed to find that most of the used instruments
I looked at were dented.
Some unbelievably so!
I bought a 1953 instrument that seemed to be in reasonable condition and
at least better than most of the newer instruments.
It's strange I thought,  that the pre-war instruments that I remember
never seemed to be dented as bad as these more recent ones. So I assumed
that in these days of "throw away consumerism"  players no longer were
careful with their instruments since there was always a replacement
waiting.
Yesterday at a concert I was asked by a fellow player to hold his old
Besson horn while he sorted some music out.
His instrument was barely marked or blemished except for the lacquer
wear and tear but the instrument was noticeably heavier than mine
despite them being similar instruments in size.
Mine is an Oxford, which I believe is a Boosey.
Is it possible that the older instruments were made from heavier gauge
brass and were not as prone to denting?
Also, if my observation is true, why, is it the old "make it cheaper"
story again?
During my travels I have picked up a Lintone trumpet which was made in
Elkhart, Indiana.
Could anyone tell me something about it?
Thanks again
BillW