Re: First Lady of Brass

I have just read the following on the Brass Band World website:

Death of Mrs Mortimer
Mrs Margaret Mortimer, regarded universally as the First Lady of the brass
band movement died in hospital on Friday evening, December 10th.

Mrs Mortimer the widow of the Legendary Harry, had undergone a heart valve
transplant operation earlier in the day.

The news will be received with shock throughout the Brass Band Movement
which had grown to admire her courage, graciousness and administrative
ability. Since the death of her husband eight years ago, Mrs Mortimer had
continued to organise with efficiency and great care the British Open Brass
Band Championships and the qualifying Grand Shield Competition.

Can I just add what a sad loss this is to the movement!

Brian Easterbrook