Re: Help With Broken Chords?

In message <3856EA4D.27839B4C@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Bill Walker
<Walker@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>Next Sunday I have been dragooned to play Christmas carols with a friend
>playing a trumpet (I play a Euphonium) and I would like to do a good
>job.
>BUT he has given me music which will be in unison.
>I would like to play broken chords in places just to have a bit of a
>change.
>QUESTION.........................
>If I get my wife to figure out the chords by playing my part on the
>piano can I use her chords on a Bb instrument or do I need to transpose
>her chords?
>I realize I ought to know but perhaps I'm not too bright!
>I do need help.
>Thanks
>BillW

Trumpet in Bb, piano in C - when your wife plays a C, a C is sounded,
when you play a C, a Bb is sounded HOWEVER: the printed music remains
the same - and if your wife decides to use an F major chord for the sake
of example, it will still work for you to play without transposition in
a Bb ensemble, it just will all be a tone lower than if you were playing
on a piano.  Simple answer?  you can use her chords on a Bb instrument.
--
Tim Morgan, Bass Trombone, Woolley Pritchard Sovereign Brass.
http://www.fylde.demon.co.uk/sov/sov.htm