Re: Stolen Equipment

Brian...hope you have more luck than I in tracing stolen instruments. Three
basses, three trombones, percussion equipment, full drum kit, music, etc.
were stolen from a storage room in my village here in North Wales a couple
of months ago.   Although reported to the police it seems that nothing was
done to trace the thieves; after three visits to the local police station I
could get no information.   Nothing was done to inform dealers, etc.
Villagers and bandsmen had worked hard to raise the cash for these
instruments...and efforts to revive the band (it had existed for over 100
years) have now been abandoned.   After doing nothing to stop the band from
folding ,as part of a grand scheme for a local park the local authority are
now planning to build a BANDSTAND to replace a lovely one demolished over 30
years ago !   They believe other bands will play there for nothing....just
collections.   It is strange that there should be a market for large
basses...and I believe one was stolen from a car in nearby Bangor in
October.   Be warned...if you have instruments stolen you seem to be on your
own.   Funnily enough in the early hours of this morning everyone in my
locality was awakened by several police vehicles, screeching tyres, flashing
blue lights, etc. AND a police helicopter with searchlight scanning the
area. Must have been an armed robbery we thought......but no, according to a
journalist colleague the excitement was efforts to find some guys who had
stolen an antique fireplace !   Maybe some fellow bandsmen in the
constabulary can give you some advice .   I would strongly advise any band
not to leave any instruments in a bandroom these days.   There must a market
for them somewhere ....and some so-and-so's prepared to buy them with no
questions asked.   Regards. David Williams.