Photocopying music [was KIRKLEES]

I looked a little deeper into this issue and feel I ought to clarify my last
comments with some facts. These details are taken from the "Code of fair
practice relating to printed music" from the Music Publishers Association
Ltd.

My initial comment that the purchase of a piece gave one the right to copy
25% is untrue. What is actually stated is as follows:

....where the publishers has expressly stated in writing extra parts are not
sold individually but only in sets, copies of extra parts may be made
provided that the number made does not exceed a "quarter set" in quantity
and providing that the person or organisation making the copies has already
purchased one or more sets.

So simply copying music is not allowed as we all already know (moral
judgements on the cost of music aside).

But what may be of interest to the specific case mentioned (namely excessive
amounts of percussion) is the following excerpt.

Under the heading performance difficulties:
A performer who possesses a piece of music and who needs for his personal
use a second copy of a page of the work for ease of performance due to a
difficult page-turn, may make one copy of the relevant part for that purpose
without any application to the copy right owner.

Think on!

Regards

Chris