Re: ABRSM Examinations

This reminds me to quote the only experience I had with doing grades. I was
going to mention it when the topic was first raised, but it slipped my mind. It
covers the choice of items.

When studying for 'A' level music (some time ago now of course) we needed grade
6 practical. The choice of music for the tenor horn included a low F natural,
since it was a  piece originally written for french horn - I forget what now. My
only way round this was to take the phrase up an octave. My 'A' level music
teacher's main instrument was trombone so he understood why, however the
examiner was not a brass instrument player and didn't exactly understand why I
didn't play the notes that were written.

Naturally after this I never bothered with grade 7/8. Before you ask, yes I did
pass my grade 6 and go on to pass the 'A' level as well.

-Nigel