RE: Athletic Percussion & Drum Solos.

A few years ago Geoff Whitham, when he had just finished adjudicating the
annual Rochdale contest (which must boast the liveliest acoustics anywhere
in the world), said he wasn't sure if he was suffering from CONcussion or
PERcussion!

Personally, I love hearing a good drum solo, whether it's in the middle of a
band piece or in a Scottish pipe band, but we've all been subjected to bad
ones, I'm sure.  Dave's comments reminded me of a Maynard Ferguson concert a
few years ago when the drummer (I'm sure the word "percussionist" in that
context would be met with derision - the opposite being true in the B.B.
movement) just wouldn't stop!  I could see Maynard getting really irate and,
with his back to the audience and face glaring at the drummer, was pointing
his first two fingers towards his own eyes, suggesting to the offending
musician (used sincerely here) that he paid a little attention to the band
leader.

John McLoughlin