RE: Athletic Percussion

Tim wrote :-

>By the way, the parts that we have for Variations on an Enigma are
>excellent - properly organised for one player per part, with instruments
>only on the one part.  Full marks to Mr Sparke.  Pity, he found it
>necessary
>to write for Marimba when no brass band in the known universe possesses
>one...  (go on, prove me wrong now...)

Nope I think your spot on there mate, I know that we (Marple) don't own one,
The list is endless for the bands that DO NOT have a marimba,
Infact the only bands I KNOW have one are Fodens (but that is Simones anyway
so they might not have one for the area after Simones left) and I know that
Sarah Wood (JJB) has got one but I don't know if they'll be using that.
It is a bit pointless as playing on Marimbas is quite a lot different from a
xylophone (No brass players reply to this showing thier ignorance in saying
that there is no difference) but I think that a lot of bands are going to
end up playing there parts on the xylophone in rehearsal until the day.
I pity the percussionists that have never played on one before if that is
the case.
Anyway, I agreee , well done Mr Sparke, thanks for amking the lives of
percussionists easier.
I must say though,
I thought that Dove descending was well done, well my part (part 1) was.

Jos
(percussionist, Marple)