Re: Improving an "iffy" band

>Something that's been on my mind lately, and on which
>I would appreciate some input, is how to improve an
>"iffy" band.
>

>I guess we could remove the last 25%, but for two
>things: #1) we have an open-door policy, and #2) they
>are actually nice people with whom we enjoy spending
>time.

You've got to make a decision and NOBODY is going to tell you it's
going to be on easy one.
Depending on how you're organized/sponsored, the group, its leaders
or its organizers will have to decide whether you are a "community
social group" or a musical organization intent on growth. If you
decide you're more than a musical social club, those who don't
measure up will have to be eased out at some point by someone if they
don't meet the standards or don't begin to improve. Also, set up
entry/invitation/audition criteria and make it clear that "guests"
are exactly that until they've passed muster.
We've had to make some of those tough decisions. Some of the charter
members of the group were just not able to keep up.
Make it clear what your criteria are. Publish it to the group and
begin moving GENTLY in that direction. You'll know you got it right
on the one end if at least some of your "ex" band members remain
loyal supporters. We've moved a few people around to different parts,
too, in ways that obviously weren't promotions.

PS: "Charter" and long standing members do deserve every
consideration and I want very much to emphasize the humanity in the
situation. Somehow though, you'll have to set your course and begin
the fertilizing or the weeding. Best of luck.

Ed Carroll
Solo Tenor
Las Vegas British Brass