Re: keep things right between Sop and Rep

Graham makes some very interesting comments about tuning. As a trombone player
in the same band as Graham, I certainly agree with many things he says. We
trombone players have infinite tuning options and for sure there are many times
when we debate who to tune with.

What should we do about these problems and who is responsible for solving them?

Based on my experience which includes 11 years of conducting a Salvation Army
Band  which was a pretty good band when I gave it up, I do not believe that you
can just say to amateurs - listen to the tuning. It just doesn't work. As a
conductor, you have to take the time to teach the band what being in tune sounds
like. This is a slow and aggravating process for both conductor and band. After
a few years learning how to conduct I determined that we must improve the level
of tuning in our band to move to a new level. I used the ears of a professional
in the band at the time and we continually worked at tuning. We also spent
considerable time in the warmup room tuning before concerts. Even after you have
done that, it will often be necessary to tune individual chords. When doing that
many times you will find that what sounds like bad tuning is often bad balance.
Also there are certain octaves which are difficult to tune such as the cornet A
above the staff with the trombone an octave below. This is a note which on
cornets is usually sharp so for the good of all the trombone must adjust.

But the really important thing about tuning is that as a conductor, you must
work on it all the time. It is easy to get tied up with technical concerns and
forget that first and foremost, the blended sound of the brass band is its clain
to fame. Many years after I gave up my band, a percussion player who frequently
sat in with us said to me how much he enjoyed sitting back and listening to all
the well tuned overtones of the band, so what I am suggesting really works. It
just takes time and patience.

Dave.