re:"iffy band"

I don't know about the merits of trying to put people on the spot with the
aim of having them leave the band - even if D Buckley feels it may be for
the good of the band.

My band is a community band made up entirely of people who love the band.
 musically, socially, community, etc.....) They give an enormous amount of
time to the presentation of music for the community and for their own self
gratification. Who am I to publicly put them down for any reason?

I achieve good results with my band by constant, constant, constant
encouragement. Musical results are achieved by good ( IMHO ) music selection
which challenges all levels of player and by active tuition from the baton.
This almost never includes criticism. If we have to write music to suit, I
and others write it. ( My band has several aspiring composers. ) Tuning and
intonation problems are always present but these can be somewhat offset,
again by keeping players in comfortable ranges where they do play in tune.

Is the attainment of perfect performances always the most important thing?
Don't we have the responsibility to our members to give them a musical
experience, even at the expense of musical perfection?

I know a lot of people will disagree with the above, but

Kees & Michelle Dogger
dogger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx