re:"iffy band"

>From: "Kees & Michelle Dogger" <dogger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>I don't know about the merits of trying to put people on the spot with the
>aim of having them leave the band - even if D Buckley feels it may be for
>the good of the band.

I couldn't agree more  ... what is a band but the people in it?  and for
who's good are we talking if not theirs?

>My band is a community band made up entirely of people who love the band.
>  musically, socially, community, etc.....) They give an enormous amount of
>time to the presentation of music for the community and for their own self
>gratification. Who am I to publicly put them down for any reason?

Here, here!

>I achieve good results with my band by constant, constant, constant
>encouragement. Musical results are achieved by good ( IMHO ) music
>selection
>which challenges all levels of player and by active tuition from the baton.
>This almost never includes criticism.

To quote my grandmother .. "you catch more flies with honey than with
vinegar" .... 'nuff said

>I know a lot of people will disagree with the above, but

Not this one ... I agree without reservation

Need a tenor horn player?  Sounds like the kind of band I'd enjoy playing
with!

Lloyd Hiscock
Tenor Horn
Woods Manufacturing Brass Band