RE: Grandad - Instrument dates

According to my information the last brass serial number used in 1910 was
79257, the last in 1920 was 108455.

That would make your instruments somewhere around 1912 on a linear basis of
production. I've no idea why they should have the same number with a
different number on the finger holder.

My list of serial numbers came from Dennis Lofthouse who, along with his
brother, and, I believe, other members of his family, worked for Boosey and
Hawkes. Dennis was originally the instrument maker for the Sally Ann and
went to B & H when they took over the S. A. production. He was, probably
still is, very active with the S. A. in St Albans.

He used to run the instrument repair department in the basement of B & H in
Regent Street. A brilliant instrument maker, even though his workshop always
looked as if a bomb had just hit it! He was very helpful and it was a great
loss to B & H when he retired. I think his brother was in charge of quality
control on the Sovereign instruments and as he is the same sort of craftsman
as Dennis (he is nearly as good but not quite, says Dennis)it is likely that
the current quality problems start from shortly after he retired.

I'm sure there are other list members who are better acquainted with the
Lofthouse family than me and may wish to expand on this theme.

A happy millenium to all.

Cheers

Grandad

From: R Thomas
Any guess on a Boosey & Co. Pocket Cornet serial number 84059. (High pitch)
?
In fact all 5 have the same serial number with a different number stamped on
the finger holder (24 for the one on the desk) which matches the number
stamped on the valve stems.