Re: re:"iffy band" - replacing players.

Hi all

I have always found the balance between getting good players and committed
players as well as the right mix of nice people very hard and have made a
number of 'iffy decisions' along the way. In retrospect it has not always
been the best set of players who have given the best performance.

About 6 years ago I made a few changes in a band that had been consistently
doing well, although never quite realising it's potential based on my
perception that the band was being held back by a few weaker players. As a
result of the changes we won nothing even though we had a much better
playing line up.

Having said that if you have players who merely hold instruments then you
will never get anywhere. Give me 5 or 6 decent soloists with the rest
players who can play their part,  who will sit anywhere for the good of the
band and who will turn up and work hard and you have a recipe for success.
My experience with most talented players is that they have huge egos, think
they are much better than they are, have little or no committment and will
drop the band in it for the first paid job which comes along.

Jeremy