Re: re:"iffy band"

It is far better to have a band of loyal and dedicated players....even if
they are not brilliant....than no band at all !   "Good" players must
realise that some folk will never  be top instrumentalists and bands must
realise that some members have jobs,wives and children, girl friends,
mortgages, and other commitments that they consider more important than the
constant striving, maybe to win contests...with all the sectional
rehearsals,etc..    After over 50 years experience I must admit I have
become rather cynical after seeing what happens when some folk get too
fanatical......some marriages ruined, dedicated loyal members leaving after
a lifetime in their local band because they were treated badly.    When
winning some contest means more than anything or considering the feelings of
others.    And in the end it all ends in tears .   There was once a man who
had an "entourage" of about 10 good players, who would take over an
ambitious band, and with them win a few prizes and the band would get new
uniforms, etc.....then he would fall out with the secretary or some
official...and leave, taking his players with him.  After struggling along
for a bit the band would fold....and he would move on to another.    I know
I am a lone voice but I still think there are far too many contests now
than there used to be .   Until brass bands in the U.K. do more to promote
their image they will continue to be ignored by broadcasters and the media.
Did anyone find the results of the "Open" and the "National" in any national
paper this year.  I know I did'nt.    A recent annual contest rally here in
N. Wales (attended by a few hundred folk) did'nt even get one line in the
local press.    Ponder on the above please before  getting "too" ambitious.
Leave the aggro to the big boys and just enjoy playing as a very worthwhile
hobby.     Happy New Year to all.   David