Re: Grand Sheild

----- Original Message -----
From: tony.bryan <tony.bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 02, 2000 2:38 PM
Subject: Grand Sheild

> Hi all
>
> Anybody ever played the shield test piece "variations on a shining river",
> I`d appreciate players comments as I`ve never heard of it!!
>
> Tony
> (Trombone, Ratby)

Hi there Tony,

This is testing my memory box but if it's the same piece I'm thinking of it was
used as an area test piece many years ago.  Is it the one by Edmund Rubra?  If
it is it's a weird set of variation type interludes one of which features a
trombone solo who has to play a really awful melody that sounds like an ugly
Christmas carol!!  The most disappointing aspect of the piece is the lack of any
grand finale - you're in the middle of the last variation plodding along with
nothing special going on and you get a short crescendo and it's all over.  If I
am on to the right piece I think we were beaten that year by Rigid Containers,
as they were then, conducted by Dr. Wilkinson!!!

Colin Randle - GUS Band - http://www.BrassBand.cwc.net