Re: To David W

Kaye.   Sorry to hear that you have given up your band in disappointment.
I agree that it is frustrating if not all the members are really committed.
But (at least here in the U.K.) it seems to me that a lot of bands are now
mainly interested in contesting.   In my day our band consisted of all local
folk entirely committed to the band...and being a seaside outfit did about
five concerts a week, carnivals, fetes,civic parades,..the lot, for nothing.
The bandmaster did not get paid either.   We would  perhaps do one or two
contests in a year.  Most of the time was spent enjoyably rehearsing music
for concert work.    Many years later , I believe , with many newer players
the band seemed to mainly want the excitement  (?) of competing...and
eventually reached 2nd section....and had more players than needed.  Some
would be "dropped" the night before a contest...or even the same day.  With
the result that they finished up with about FIVE  and folded (after existing
for over 100 years).  The resort lost an important seasonal attraction.
Civic parades were marched in silence.   Carnivals, rose days, etc. have
disappeared.    I just feel some people get too fanatical.   Here in the
U.K. it is very rare to hear a brass band on the radio (apart from a weekly
half-hour programme)....and it is many years since we had television
programmes such as Champion Brass.   Newspapers hardly ever mention bands.
As someone who has worked in the media for over 50 years, advertising, PR.,
newspapers and televison, this troubles me, as I believe our bands are still
the best in the world.....and one of the few things we could really brag
about.    But the people who run things seem only concerned with arranging
competitions.    Don,t give up Kaye.  You will soon be in a band again.
Good luck.   David.