Recording Bands

Hi all,

Hope millenium bug didn't bite!!

I would like to do some recording and was wondering
could anyone help. I'm not planing to take on Sony or
EMI just yet! I just want to develop a basic setup for
recording a band or ensambles, concerts etc. for
analysis and posterity. Can anyone make suggestions ie
how many mikes, what type, mixers etc? It seems hard
to find information on recording brass and any
associated problems there may be.

I'd appreciate any help you can give, and feel sure it
will be of help to others on the list.

Thanks,

John