Re: Pocket Cornets & Instrument dates

Oh dear,

These "antique" pocket cornets you describe are exactly the ones I have been
seeing around the junk shops and market stalls. It seems that some sweat
shop in India has got hold of the original Boosey tooling (or perhaps lots
of unassembled parts) and is turning these things out quickly and cheaply as
ornaments. Booseys would never have put their name to anything quite that
dreadful. They would not have issued an identical serial number to every
instrument. The mouthpieces provided are nothing more than  toys.
I have seen lots of these things. Superficially they look like the real
thing but the standard of construction is worse than terrible. I have yet to
find one that could be considered a valid musical instrument. They belong on
the wall of an oak beamed pub amongst the copper pots and pans and fake
horse brasses.

Congratulations on getting them to work at all. I am not trying to dampen
your obvious enthusiasm for your new instruments. I would just like to warn
other list members to look and try very carefully before parting with any
money for these things.