Next 20 years

I think that over the next 20 years bands, their members  and their goals
will be as diverse as ever. I think that there will be a lot less of them in
a given country, but more countries will have them. I believe that brass
bands are becoming more popular in North America. Japan has a growing
movement. I think that there will be a change in the age group filling these
bands. Up until now the emphasis has been on the youth. These people are now
too busy at school or university, earning a dollar at Mackers, and then
romance takes over , work, often shift work, kids  and their needs etc. It
is the older group that has the time and the interest now. I started playing
when I was nearly 40, and I know of many people who have been late starters.
	Most of our bands in Australia have been funded by local councils. That is
changing. Less money is being made available. I think that this will cause a
lot of bands to fold and those that are left will be self-funding. Members
will pay a joining fee and an annual fee to pay  the M.D., and for the hall
and music. I think that we will all have our own instruments, music stands
and uniforms. The uniforms will therefore become simpler and cheaper  e.g. a
jumper or windcheater or vest over basic black trousers or skirt with a
white shirt and black tie. A lot of our wind bands are already doing all
this.
	I think contesting  will become mostly concert orientated, and be a social,
festival atmosphere. This will be more attractive to an audience as
ell.( Ted H's enjoyment factor for bands and audience) A lot of bands won't
be able to afford the elaborate percussion that is needed for test pieces
that are written these days and it does seem to be difficult to keep a
battery of percussionists interested for the long term. Marching diagrams
etc. seem to have already mostly gone by the board here. The Kiwis are still
interested and good at it.
	These days our bands generally expect payment for gigs. Maybe these future
bands will go back to history as both Ted and David W. mentioned and do gigs
for the local community free as well as doing fundraising concerts etc.
	Here ends my two penneth worth.From Kaye
P.S. to Ted. I enjoy the discussions on harmonics, backbores etc. Each to
his or her own:) K.